jetc.dev Newsletter Issue #157
This week, we look at code organization, custom layouts, and text entry in Wear Compose. We also peek at a preference UI and a custom switch implementation.
One Off the Stack, One Off the Slack
You’ve got questions. That’s understandable!
Unfortunately, the Linen archive of Kotlinlang Slack is somewhat broken
as I prepare this newsletter, so I will not have a highlighted
Slack post 😞. Also, if you use Kotlinlang Slack, note that they created
#compose-android channel, so
#compose can be limited to general
Compose and Compose UI questions.
Weight on a
Row() needs to be applied to the direct children of the row…
even if those children are not the actual UI elements that you might think
need the weight. See how
AnimatedVisibility() can break your weight
expectations in this week’s highlighted Stack Overflow question.
Posts, videos, and other new information related to Jetpack Compose!
Google’s Chris Arriola, Andrei Shikov, Simona Stojanovic, and Jolanda Verhoef spent about 45 minutes taking Compose UI questions, ranging from when it makes sense to create a custom layout to the state of experimental Compose features.
A common UI pattern for social screens is having overlapping user avatars,
often with a circular crop. Baptiste Carlier explores how to implement that
sort of overlap effect, creating some custom modifiers (like
along the way.
Entering text on a watch sucks. Entering text on a Compose UI app on a watch is
EditText() does not appear to be available yet there. Katie
Barnett shows how to handle this the hard way, using
Other Interesting Links
- How to handle deeplinks using Jetpack Compose navigation
- Video: Developing Wear OS Apps with Jetpack Compose
- Medium: Compose Camp 2: Mastering Images in Jetpack Compose with Coil-Compose and Landscapist
- Medium: How to implement pagination in Realtime Database using Jetpack Compose?
- Medium: Custom Dynamic Form using Jetpack Compose: Making Form Creation Easy!
- Medium: Grammatical Inflection API-Android14
- Medium: Navigation in Jetpack Compose
- Medium: Multiple conditional modifier in jetpack compose
- Medium: Android Jetpack Compose Silly Mistakes
- How to Implement OutlinedButton in Jetpack Compose?
- Medium: Minimalism and State Management.
- Jetpack Compose — Auto Image Slider with Dots Indicator
- Medium: How write full stacks Apps with Kotlin (Springboot backend, Jetpack Compose Mobile)
100% pure code!
Tubagus Saifulloh shows some Compose snippets for pausing ExoPlayer playback
when the activity is paused, then resuming playback when the activity is resumed,
- 2023-11-21: Compose/Material3/Wear Compose updates! remember()! Adaptive layouts! Compose Multiplatform in 2024! @firstname.lastname@example.org on BasicTextField2()! Compose Multiplatform charts! And... is TV Compose in trouble?!?
- 2023-11-14: Compose Compiler! BasicTextField2()! @email@example.com and animations! Optimization! @firstname.lastname@example.org, JetBrains, and Fleet! JetBrains and plotting! And... we collapse?!?
- 2023-11-07: Compose Multiplatform! Chips in fields! Diffing! Custom fonts in Glance app widgets! Heatmaps! PIN input! And @email@example.com is in a bit of a haze?!?